Isaiah Washington on the Ebola crisis in Sierra Leone
Hello, It is my hope, as an American and Sierra Leone citizen, that the World truly understands the threat that the current Ebola Virus is and why the World should act. On September 25, 2014 at around 4:35am, I awoke with a jolt with an idea and immediately opened up my laptop to surf the internet. 10 minutes later I came across this quote:
“Soccer is more than kicking a ball from goal to goal. Soccer connects people at all four corners of the world.”
I sat stark still and thought about how Ebola is now threatening the four corners of our World. To me, Kicking Ebola Out of West Africa is one of the most important goals to be made in the 21st Century. And I thought we can use the love of Soccer to do it! It was at that very moment, I was compelled to to take action by creating the Kicking Ebola Out of West Africa PSA and Ebola Ball Kick Challenge to help raise immediate funds and global awareness to build sustainable healthcare systems and rebuild infrastructures throughout the crisis-affected countries in West Africa. It is my hope to help qualified professionals get the continued support that they need to address the crisis on the ground and ensure that long-term behavior changes are made through proper training at the community levels throughout West Africa.
It is the African People that will ultimately end the Ebola Virus threat and my partners at Africare are at the forefront of helping the African People do just that.
Currently, there are over 25,700 cases of the Ebola virus, 10,600 deaths (CDC), and more than 16,000 orphans have lost one or both parents to the disease. Furthermore, the Ebola outbreak has had an overwhelmingly negative impact on communities and their economies in Sierra Leone, Guinea, and Liberia. With the restriction of movement (closed borders, businesses, and schools), the economic impact of the virus has left local businesses and communities.
The Gondobay Manga Foundation (TGMF) is dedicated to creating partnerships to work collaboratively in the fight against the Ebola virus and its impacts in West Africa. Critical programs and policies must be effectively coordinated to respond to the complex needs impacting the citizens (particularly children) of Guinea, Sierra Leone, and Liberia in West Africa.
Our foundation is uniquely positioned to make a significant difference in the lives of others. TGMF is leading an exciting, new campaign (Kicking Ebola Out of West Africa) with three dynamic organizations; Africare, The Artists and Athletes Alliance, and Waves for Water. Ambassador Bockari Stevens of the Republic of Sierra Leone has also provided his unwavering support to this project. These partnerships will work to raise awareness and funding to combat the Ebola crisis and its adverse impacts on communities in West Africa.
Once and For All! Help us “KICK” Ebola and its impacts out of West Africa for good!
Here’s everything you need to know to take our “KICK” challenge (and to have FUN!):
- Tell us your name and the person who challenged you.
- Let us know that you are accepting the “Kicking Ebola Out of West Africa” challenge and that you are donating $100.00 to The Gondobay Manga Foundation to help save lives.
- Keep the ball rolling by challenging 3 of your friends to the kick and donate challenge. Tell us their names and let them know they have 24 hours to complete the “KICK” challenge.
- Make a video or take pics of you kicking a ball as far as you can! Can you kick further than your friends?
- Do us a favor! Post your “KICK” video or images on social media (Twitter, Facebook, IG…) and be sure to tag us!
- Include our hash tags #KickingEbolaOutOfWestAfrica #EbolaBallKickChallenge
- Send us your “KICK” video or images! We would love to post them on our website and social media pages!
We appreciate you and thank you for your support!